Thursday 12 September 2013

TGO Challenge 2013, part two, Kingussie to Braemar

Day Seven, Thursday May 16th 2013
After such a civilised break, it felt really strange setting out at the crack of dawn on Thursday. Passing the ruins of Ruthven Barracks I headed away from Kingussie towards Glen Feshie.
 
For the first time in the whole journey it was warm enough for me to remove my jacket – at least it was until I got into the shadow of the trees. Then it went back on again.

I was trolling along quite happily until I noticed this sign with warnings about dangers ahead. Luckily the notes we had been sent before the Challenge had mentioned these landslips, and I knew the route was passable with care.


The lower glen was really beautiful. I could see why so many people had good things to say about this place. There is obviously considerable investment by the estate as there were long stretches of new paths, and I saw teams of people carrying out additional improvements.


I was struck by the wild flowers, particularly the number of patches of violets that I saw.There were also places where there were huge numbers of tadpoles wriggling in shallow pools near, and in places on, the path.


I stopped at Ruigh Aiteachain bothy. A MBA member called Lindsay was staying there and doing some work for the estate. He had the stove on and was brewing up for all the Challengers who called in. He even gave me a slice of sultana cake. Lovely! I stopped and had a break for about an hour, before pushing on up the valley.

I was glad that I had done so, and had a good rest, as the terrain started to get much wilder a couple of miles higher up the valley. Lindsay knew the area well, had given me some insight into getting past the landslips, and suggested a couple of places where it would be good to wildcamp.

As the valley narrowed and headed east the path was more or less contouring along screes. The first landslip had occurred where a tree had fallen, wiping out the path completely. I crossed the loose stone very gingerly, glad that I had recently been joined by Bernie Roberts, who was doing his 20th crossing, and had been up here a number of times. 


Whereas the underfoot conditions had been good in the lower valley, as we climbed it got worse and worse. We crossed a couple of other landslips, and then reached the more open ground of the high valley. By now I was getting really tired. I had wondered about pushing on across to the upper Geldie valley tonight, but decided that enough was enough. I settled for a pitch at the old shieling near the waterfalls. There is an old ruined hut there known as ‘The pony hut’. Too tired to faff about, I pitched my Trailstar, I ate a scratch meal and got my head down.


Day Eight, Friday May 17th 2013 
Early to arise again I was off again at 6.30am, knowing I still had to make 17 miles to get to Braemar, where I was due to meet hubby Ron at the Youth Hostel, and to have a rest day on Saturday.

Looking back as I left the area I could see Bernie’s tiny red tent for miles. He had won it as a prize for something in TGO2012. I can remember him being presented with it at the dinner in Montrose.



I had heard many stories about ‘the bridge’ at the waterfalls here early on today’s route, but didn’t realise quite what they were on about until I actually got there.
Poised high above the tumbling waters I could see that this was no ordinary bridge, however, it looked OK from a distance…


… but this sign put my heart in my mouth as I crossed, feeling it move beneath my feet.


The first few miles after that were a bit bog-hopping, but paths started to appear and to improve. I think I had got onto Mar Estate land. By the time I got down to the ruined bothy by the crossing on the Geldie Burn I was in my element. I decided to stop for a proper meal as I had not eaten very well last night. I went to get water and realised that in all the times I have been here I have never seen the waters so low – and today I was not going to have to wade across! Last year the raging waters were well up mid-thigh. Today I could possibly have hopped across rocks with my boots on. Such are the vagaries of rivers in Scotland.

Pushing on down the valley I had a lovely walk, but did not stop to take pictures. I was in ‘yomping’ mode, covering the ground quite quickly. It was nice to be on familiar ground after so much navigation pressure during the last few days. The section from White Bridge to the Linn of Dee was a doddle.

It got really warm, and I was glad to plunge my feet into the icy pools at Linn of Dee, before pushing on to Mar Lodge. 


I was really disappointed when I got to Mar Lodge. Last year there had been a lovely walker’s café in the gun room, and I felt welcomed and cossetted. This year there was a message passed from anther Challenger who was there: “make yourself a cup of tea or coffee and drop some money in the box”. No biscuits. None of the scones I had been fantasising about, and certainly no bacon butty. Feeling deflated I only stopped long enough to down a small cup of tea, before pushing on down that last road-thrash to Braemar. How I hate that stretch. I am always tired out and looking forward to stopping when I do that section. Enough moaning. Suffice to say, I was on my last legs when I got into town – and delighted to see ‘my beloved’ walking towards me! I don’t remember much else then except struggling to get my legs in gear to climb up the drive to the door at the Youth Hostel, and the blessed relief of having made it at last.

Rest Day, Saturday May 18th 2013
Not much to report – taking it easy all day. We went for a run in the car during the morning, then a little walk with Ron at Linn of Dee where he took this picture. I have always had an afinity for this place, as my name is Lindy...


We went for some excellent scones at a café in Braemar, where we sat and chatted with Gayle, Mick and others before returning to the youth hostel. It started to rain hard around lunchtime, so I was very glad to be indoors. The staff at the hostel are lovely – they really look after Challengers. Ron was doing a great job of looking after me too. I did lots of eating, snoozing and reading, generally sorted out my kit and got ready to go again. Perfect for a rest day.







No comments:

Post a Comment