Tuesday 24 July 2012

Anticipation - the beginning

The excitement of getting a place in the TGO 2012  led to the reality of getting fit and ready to meet 'The Challenge' of walking solo across Scotland. I had done lots of long distance walking before, but knew that this was a whole new ballgame. Winter months were spent in the gym with occasional forays up Winter Hill (Near Bolton, Lancashire).


March saw longer days and my first real training walk, trying out my new tent and some other equipment. Here is what I wrote when I got home:



All winter I had been training with the trek across Scotland in mind. All other treks I have done before are little in comparison. This one is BIG! Nearly 200 miles, across the mountains of Scotland, on my own, carrying all my camping gear, food, water…. I had to be strong as well as fit. Hours in the gym and on the hill brought me to my first overnight training trek – a ‘ 3 day trundle’ across the moors from Littleborough home to Westhoughton, using routes such as the Rossendale Way and the Pennine Bridleway.
I was testing my gear as well as testing my fitness. With some trepidation I set up my first wildcamp of the year. Night one saw me under clear skies on the moors looking westwards at the sunset through the wind-farm on Scout Moor. Stunning. What was there to worry about?

The next day started with a fabluous trog across the old cart-roads that serviced a series of old quarries up high on the moors, now the Rossendale Way. Gradually the windfarm came closer - then I passed it behind me.


After a great lunch at the ‘Bizzy Plaice’ in Edenfield, and a boggy yomp over Holcombe Moor, dusk fell on the second night with me hiding myself away in woodland near a reservoir to the east of Bolton, then getting up and away in the morning before dog-walkers were about.


It was lovely being able to track my progress by looking back at the wind-farm disappearing into the distance in the east. 

I ended my day walking back up over Winter Hill - and onto home ground. All in all a great three days, perfect start to the year's big walking.





No comments:

Post a Comment